In summertime, guided tours are available for anyone, during the rest of the year for bigger groups only: Local Guides
Location: Marjaniemi, at the end of the west location of the island on the end of 30 km road through Hailuoto.
Coordinates: 65°02.40′N, 24°33.68′E
Designer: Axel Hampus Dahlström
Height: 25 m
Height from sea level: 30,2 m
Light range: 29,6 km
Hailuoto and Marjaniemi are an important part of the maritime history of the Gulf of Bothnia and the city of Oulu. Even today, the pilot boats are located in Marjaniemi, piloting ships safely to the Oulu harbour. The city of Oulu was established on 1610, but in Hailuoto there was permanent settlement already in the 12th century.
There have been several kinds of pilotage constructions around Marjaniemi since 1770. A wooden lighthouse was supposed to be replaced by a brick lighthouse in 1854, but as the Crimean war (1853–1856) broke out, the plan was postponed. Architect Axel Hampus Dalström was given the assignment to design the new brick lighthouse in 1866, but the Finnish Famine of 1866-1868 postponed the plan even further. The light of the new lighthouse was finally switched on for the first time in 1871.
The lighthouse is made of bricks, with a 110 step staircase to the top. The first light ran with turnip oil, using about 250 litres a day. In 1908 it was changed to run with gas, 1950 with acetylene bulb and in 1962 with electricity. Now the power of the light is 1,36 million candelas.
Two keepers and a lighthouse master took care of the lighthouse until 1962, when it became automated. Now the buildings are owned by the municipality of Hailuoto. Old pilot houses have become a hotel and hostel. Luototalo was built in 2007 near the pilot station, hosting a restaurant and an interactive nature exhibition.